Bees and lavender have left their mark on the warmer months and are going out with a bang. Summer is being ushered out by cool winds and changing leaves, but we’re not quite ready to see it go! Autumn in Appalachia brings so many delicious and soulful ingredients to the kitchen like squash, apples, and the last bit of sweet corn, but it also marks an end to the honey harvesting season. Our lavender fields provide all the nectar and pollen our bees need to create a unique lavender honey that elevates every dish. Whether you’re not ready to bid summer goodbye or are looking for ways to incorporate your favorite florals into holiday dishes, we’ve compiled a list of the best lavender honey recipes that are sure to leave a sweet taste of summer on your lips.
Bees and Lavender: The Scoop on Our Honey
Currently, we offer three different types of lavender honey to suit all taste buds:
Lavender Honey: This lavender honey is highly sought after and has a delicate taste of lavender. This is a mono-floral variety, meaning all our bees harvested the nectar of one type of plant to make their honey. Trust us, bees and lavender make the best of friends! This is a perfect choice in light recipes or to win someone over to using lavender in the kitchen.
Lavender-Infused Wildflower Honey: This honey gives bees free range to forage nectar from a variety of West Virginian wildflowers. It is locally sourced from a local Appalachian apiary then infused with the lavender buds from our fields. This has a slightly stronger lavender flavor that is perfect for drizzling or stirring into your favorite drinks.
Lavender-Infused Goldenrod Honey: Goldenrod honey is the last honey collected before the bees settle into their hives for the winter. It is an amber-like color with a rich, sweet taste that you can only get from honey. This honey is sourced from our own hives as well as the hives of a local apiary before it is infused with our lavender buds. If you have a sweet tooth or are a die-hard honey fanatic, this is the perfect fit.
Perfectly Sweet and Floral Lavender Honey Recipes
- Lavender Honey Spice Cake: This cozy, comforting recipe is perfect for welcoming in the cooler months. This recipe calls for Lavender Honey and staple warming spices such as cinnamon, fennel seeds, and ginger. It makes for a perfect centerpiece on the Thanksgiving table!
- Lavender Honey Iced Coffee: Lavender and espresso make a surprisingly well-balanced duo! We love this drink because it uses homemade almond milk for another light touch of sweetness and rich espresso rather than drip coffee. This recipe calls for lavender buds, but using our Lavender-Infused Wildflower Honey should give you all the lavender goodness you need to make a perfectly sweet and sippable iced coffee.
- Roasted Lavender Honey Glazed Chicken: Lavender can do savory too! This beautiful rustic dish uses the lavender and best fresh herbs to make a sweet and acidic glaze for chicken or quail. Instead of adding lavender buds, you can swap the regular honey for our Lavender-Infused Wildflower Honey.
- Lavender Honey Baked Feta with Thyme: You are going to crush your charcuterie game with this lavender and feta recipe! Our Lavender-Infused Goldenrod Honey is sweet and complex, making it a great addition to cheese and charcuterie boards.
- Lavender Roasted Turnips and Apples: It doesn’t get much better than this. Make the most out of your fall apples and turnips by drizzling with Lavender Honey and sprinkling on some dried lavender buds.
- Lavender Honey Mint Julep: Elevate your drinks with some lavender honey, no degree in mixology needed! This recipe takes a spin on the classic summertime drink, the mint julep, but stirring in Lavender Honey instead of simple syrup.
- Roasted Rack of Lamb with Lavender: Mint has long been the go-to herb to pair with lamb but this recipe steps it up by introducing lavender honey to the mix. This dish is perfect for an impressive and romantic dinner that’s easy to whip up at home! The strong and unique taste of lamb can withstand some extra lavender deliciousness, so we recommend using the Lavender-Infused Wildflower Honey.
- Lavender Honey Pie: Impress your dinner guests with this lavender honey pie! It has a gorgeous custardy texture that leaves canned pie mix in its dust. Try the Lavender-Infused Goldenrod Honey for extra richness.
- Figs and Raspberries with Lavender Honey Cream:This decadent and simple dish leverages the best flavors of soft, ripe figs and raspberries, but you can also use your favorite berries or add the honey cream on top of the spice cake recipe listed above! We recommend using the mono-floral Lavender Honey for this recipe to add the perfect touch of lavender to these delicate fruits.
- Lavender Honey Ice Cream:We saved the best for last! This rich, creamy, yet delicate ice cream is the perfect topping for warm pies and cakes or spooned onto granola or graham cracker crumbles. Our Goldenrod Honey elevates this mixture, giving it an extra-creamy caramel flavor with every spoonful.
Lavender honey is pure, simple goodness that can elevate almost any cuisine. Try it for yourself and let us know your favorite recipe!