How lucky are we to have essential oils? I mean really. Tub of warm tap water, poof, now it’s an aromatherapy spa-worthy soak. Stressful home office? Just diffuse a few drops of lavender essential oil and you’re feeling calm and ready to take on the day.
There is so much you can do with essential oil and we have to admit, we’re partial to the DIYs that provide indulgence on a budget. Something I used to splurge on was colorful, mesmerizing bath bombs. I loved how they transformed my bath water into a sweet-smelling and luxurious little spa without having to leave home. Now, I’m starting to learn that they’re not so magical after all. In fact, you can make them yourself with some simple household ingredients and your favorite essential oil! Plus, when you make them yourself and prioritize using clean, organic ingredients, they’re much gentler on your skin and you know exactly what you’re getting!
This base DIY recipe is easy to customize. When choosing your ingredients, however, there are a couple of things you’ll want to keep in mind. First and foremost, try to find an essential oil that is pure, meaning no added fragrances or artificial preservatives. Not only does this give you a more reliable, cleaner base for the many other essential oil DIYs out there, but it also goes a lot further! Our lavender essential oil is 100% organic from start to finish (you can read about its complete journey here). Lavender is a great antimicrobial oil to help you calm down and ease into a good night’s rest, so it’s perfect for a nightly soak.
Secondly, consider how polished you want your finished bath bomb to look. Ice cube trays are a great way to start practicing if it’s your first time making a bath bomb, but if you want to give these to a loved one, consider using one of the many fun and charming silicone molds out there. Top them off with some dried flower buds for extra indulgence!
Here’s the how-to, thanks to SheKnows and other online DIYers:
DIY Lavender Essential Oil Bath Bombs
Before you dive into your nice hot bath, be sure to swish the bath bomb around with your hands to test for any possible skin reactions to the below ingredients. Please also keep them out of reach of children (they can have their bubbles instead!)
- 1/2 cup powdered citric acid (you can usually find this in the canning section of the grocery store)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 10 drops organic 100% pure lavender essential oil
- 1/2 tablespoon almond oil (or another carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba)
- 4 (4-ounce) silicone molds OR a silicone ice cube tray will do the trick
- 1-2 tablespoons dried lavender buds (optional)
- Blue and red organic food coloring (optional)
- Whisk the citric acid and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Add the carrier oil to the mixture and add essential oil drop by drop until you reach your desired strength.
- Drop in 4 to 5 drops each of the red and blue food coloring (if using).
- Add a tablespoon or so of water to moisten the mixture and combine. Continue adding small amounts of water until your mixture resembles wet sand that holds its shape if you squeeze it in your hands.
- Sprinkle the dried lavender buds into the bottom of the silicone molds or ice cube tray. This will end up being the top of your finished bath bombs.
- Use a spoon to transfer the mixture to the silicone molds. Press with the back of the spoon to pack it in very tightly, all the way to the top. Allow to dry overnight, or up to 48 hours.
- Once they are dried, gently turn the molds over onto a pan or paper towel. Be careful not to break the shape – but if it does, you can repack it. If they are still moist, let them sit out overnight.
- To use, drop in a bath with warm running water. Swish around with your hands, watch them fizz, and enjoy!
To make your bath time even more indulgent and leave your skin hydrated and glowing, you can also add a couple of drops of Lavender Sage Massage Oil to your water! The lightweight, organic formula leaves skin looking and feeling soft, hydrated, and glowy.
These little bath bombs make great gifts for friends on Galentine’s day, loved ones on Valentine’s day, or for yourself any day. If you need help finding the perfect gift, try taking our free online quiz or going with one of our many gift sets so they can pick their favorite products!
ABCo's lavender essential oils is 100% organic from start to finish. Lavender is a great antimicrobial oil to help you calm down and ease into a good night's rest, so it's perfect for a nightly soak.
MEET THE AUTHOR / ELIZA TALVOLA is a writer from Pittsburgh, PA who considers herself to be a conscious consumer and traveler, slow fashion advocate, and devoted foodie. She is a firm believer in creative reuse and putting people over profits, and is a long time lavender enthusiast. Her favorite product: Lavender Hand Sanitizer Spray