Lavender is a superpower in the kitchen. Not surprisingly, it has a very assertive sweet and floral flavor. As a rule of thumb, any desserts, whether savory or sweet, that use thyme and rosemary might be suitable for lavender.
Adding lavender straight from the garden is always the most delicious way to add a floral touch to your dish. Lavender buds are beautiful, but they can also be overpowering if you bite right into one. If you want a more diluted or blendable lavender alternative, organic lavender honey does just the trick!
With that said, lavender buds make a beautiful garnish! Before you go reaching for any old dried lavender, it’s important to remember the many different uses of lavender; the dried lavender that is used to make candles might not be safe to consume. If you prefer to use lavender buds, always ensure that you’re choosing culinary-grade lavender that is chemical free. No matter which route you choose, we’re bringing you nine new desserts that are baked with lavender love, just in time for the holiday season! It’s time to put those newly found quarantine baking skills into action!
- Lavender and Earl Grey Scones: Scones are the perfect early morning snack to munch on as you prepare holiday dinner. Tea lovers will be especially happy to have one (or four) on their plate! This recipe uses chemical free lavender buds simply as a garnish. Rather than whipping up a glaze to go on top, you can drizzle some warm Lavender-Infused Honey on top or add a dollop to your tea!
- Lavender Lemon Macarons: Home chefs and baking enthusiasts know all about the meticulous and thoughtful preparation that goes into making French macarons – but the payoff is worth it! If you’re like my family and prefer little handmade gifts that have a huge impact, French macarons are the perfect labor of love. Lemon and lavender is a pairing that you’ll see quite often, and for good reason. On top of the delicate sweetness and texture of macarons, lemon and lavender create a unique flavor profile that you’ll remember much longer than simple chocolate or vanilla.
- Lavender Vanilla Cupcakes with Honey Buttercream: I think I’ve died and gone to heaven! Everything you love in desserts is here; it is loaded with vanilla, lavender, and honey and yet makes such a delicate and light cupcake. Our Lavender-Infused Honey is an obvious swap for the buttercream – chemical free lavender buds are optional.
- Honey Lavender Lemon Loaf: Here’s that lavender and lemon again! This rustic and simple loaf is delicate, moist, and fuss free. Since holiday dinners will likely be a bit smaller this year, this lavender loaf is the perfect centerpiece for a romantic, intimate meal and doesn’t require you to slave away in the kitchen. Plus, how sweet is this pan?! Yes, pun intended!
- Lavender Madeleine Tea Cakes: Holiday cookies are great, but you can only eat so many peppermint flavored pastries before you start to get tired of them. These delicate Madeleine cakes go perfectly with morning tea to help you get a sweet start to your day. Plus, hello butter — these little cakes use all the best ingredients!
- Blueberry Lavender Pie: What Thanksgiving smorgasbord would be complete without a pie? The sweet filling is matched with a lovely, slightly-salted crust that will keep you coming back for seconds if not thirds. Like the above recipes, you can choose to do with or without the lavender buds or substitute them altogether with lavender honey. This ain’t your mama’s blueberry pie!
- Lavender, Strawberry, and Cheese Braid: This shareable statement-making pastry is incredible any time of the year. It uses a lavender simple syrup (we have a recipe for that here) to flavor a sweet, creamy cheese that binds all the flavors of sweet strawberries and lavender together.
- Lavender Mascarpone: This mascarpone is a great foundational element that elevates so many different desserts! Try it on cake, pie, on its own, or using the below recipe. This recipe uses lemon, but it’s your call if you want to make the lavender shine on its own or kick it up a notch with lemon!
- Caramelized Baked Pears and Lavender Mascarpone: Personally, I love desserts that leverage the natural sweetness and flavor of fresh fruits! Baked pears are one of my favorites. You can simply drizzle the baked pears and nuts with lavender-infused honey, or you can top it with the lavender mascarpone above! The mascarpone helps to round out the flavors and add a little bit of indulgence to it all. It’s easy but unforgettable!
If you are curious about getting started in the kitchen with lavender, you can always reach out to our team for help! Additionally, there are so many different lavender recipes floating around on the internet.
If you baked any of the above recipes, we want to see them — it’s the next best thing to tasting them! Please share them with us via email, or on one of our social media channels like Facebook or Instagram. On your mark, get set, bake!
MEET THE AUTHOR / ELIZA TALVOLA is a writer from Pittsburgh, PA who considers herself to be a conscious consumer and traveler, slow fashion advocate, and devoted foodie. She is a firm believer in creative reuse and putting people over profits, and is a long time lavender enthusiast. Her favorite product: Lavender Hand Sanitizer Spray